It is important to brush your teeth as part of your daily dental care routine. Here are a few tips to maintain a healthy smile:
- Brush your teeth twice daily with a soft-bristled brush. Brushes should be sized and shaped to fit your mouth, so you can easily reach all areas.
- Your toothbrush should be replaced every three to four months, or sooner if the bristles are frayed. If your toothbrush is worn down, you won’t be able to clean your teeth effectively.
Using the proper brushing technique involves the following steps:
- Angle your toothbrush 45 degrees toward your gum line.
- Gently stroke back and forth with the brush in short (tooth-wide) strokes.
- Be sure to brush the outer surfaces, the inner surfaces, as well as the chewing surfaces of the teeth.
- The inside surfaces of your front teeth can be cleaned by tilting the brush vertically and making several upward and downward strokes.